Monday, March 18, 2013

I Am Groom, Hear Me Roar!



This is from a fellow Bitchy Baker:

My least favorite couple, as I recall, contacted me to set up a cake tasting. They wanted to taste several specialty cakes that I make from scratch and other cakes with out of season fruits in them.  Trying to be as accommodating as I could, I made several of the cake samples for them, but not all of their requests.

When the time for the tasting came about, the groom showed up early, to inform me that the bride would be along eventually, and the he and I should start talking about the wedding info now. He proceeded to grill me about my background, where I had gone to school, where I lived, and any number of unrelated items that were none of his business, and had nothing to do with his wedding.  I finally told him that I didn't usually go into my own background that much with anyone, and that I had a college degree as well as pastry chef credentials, so lets talk about the cake. 

After the bride finally arrived, they tasted the cake, he asked me dozens of questions about the cake samples, then went through my cake pictures and (he) selected a design with 8 or 9 individual cakes on free standing cake stands at different heights, with elaborate supports.  He was a recent business graduate from a little community college with no credibility, and was out to prove to his fiancĂ© that he was tough. He asked me if I charged for delivery, and I said I did, so he said he would set the cake up himself (even though he never saw a wedding cake in person, and knew nothing about setting one up). He then complained about the contract, and scoffed when I told him the cake had to be paid for in full several weeks before the wedding. After the tasting, as I was about to leave, the bride took me aside and said,"He's just trying to be a good businessman." When I got back to my bakery, I emailed the bride that I would not be able to do their cake, and would mail them back the deposit check. 

Making and delivering wedding cakes is difficult enough without having to deal with people like that.  There isn't enough money in the world to induce me to make a cake for loonies like that.

___________________________________________________

BB's Final Thoughts:

AMEN and smart choice!! It is so ridiculous that he felt he had to prove his manhood at a time like this. Your wedding is a time to be enjoyed not broken down like a serious business decision. If he really was a smart business man, than he should have appreciated that this BB had her shit together. Having a contract and asking for payment BEFORE the event are all great business on her part! Who the hell would make a $1,000+ order and not have payment before... you don't have to go to business school to know that shit asshole!

No comments:

Post a Comment